A Glossary for Plone, showing links to defined words when they appear in the site text.
PloneGlossary has been designed by the INGENIWEB team.
- Unpack it into your Zope Products Folder
- Restart Zope
- Use portal_quickinstaller to install the PloneGlossary in ZMI (or use plone_setup in pmi)
- Now you can add a Plone Glossary through the Plone Interface. (Adding a Plone Glossary through the ZMI won't work).
We provide a migration script for PloneGlossary 1.2 to 1.3. All the migration does is add an index and a metadata to the catalogs inside the PloneGlossaries.
- In the ZMI, go to the portal_glossary tool
- Follow the instructions in the Migration Tab
When migrating you have 2 choices :
- 1- Specifying the meta_type of your glossaries. This is normally "PloneGlossary",
- and if you are in doubt, leave this field unchanged. People who inherited from PloneGlossary should enter the meta_types of their content type and run migrations individually.
- 2- In dry run mode, migration is done, it is only a simulation of a migration,
- allowing you to the log to see if everything is ok.
PloneGlossary is a Plone content type that allows you to manage your own glossaries, propose definitions and search in one or more glossaries. Any word defined is instantly highlighted in the content of your site.
Once a glossary is created, you can add your definitions to it. Definitions are a simple content type. Enter the word you want to define as the title, and the definition of the word in the text body. You can also specify variants of the word. For example if you define the word yoghurt, you may also want to allow the variants yogurt or yoghourt to be valid. Definitions will be highlighted (like an acronym) when they appear elsewhere in your site. (Also see the ploneglossary configlet.)
Once you have a large number of definitions in your glossary, you can browse the glossary by the means of an alphabetic index, or perform a search in the glossary. Each glossary has an integrated search engine, which is simply a ZCatalog.
The Glossary Configlet:
Glossary portlet: If switched on, a portlet listing all definitions found in the currently shown content.
Highlight content: if this option is chosen, all defined words are hightlighted in the chosen content types (see further).
Description length : Choose the maximum length of the given definition in the highlights.
Description ellipsis: Choose an ellipsis. It is used in the highlight when the defined term exceeds the description length.
Not highlighted tags: Define the html tags in which definitions should not be highlighted. Default: h1, a, input, textarea
Allowed portal types: Select the portal types for which defined words are highlighted.
General glossaries: Select glossaries used to check related terms of content.
Glossary Portlet needs to be present
If you don't want to show the portlet with the glossary words, you can select the option "Show glossary porlet ?", and the portlet will be hidden using CSS.
PloneGlossaryToolA tool is installed by the installer. It provides a few configuration options so that you can customize and manage your glossaries.
Released versions of PloneGlossary are available here. The current version is 1.3.
The repository contains the up-to-date versions of our source code. In order to get the HEAD branch of PloneGlossary, use :
You can also browse the CVS with your browser.
Please take time the read the Readme
- How can i add a Glossary ?
- Under the Plone site, in a folder of Plone where you have the rights. Select Glossary in the list of item and click 'add item'.
- Variants of a word can now be defined.
1.3 RC2 - 2006-01-06
- Fix highlight script. The position of word to highlight was erroneous.
1.3 RC1 - 2006-01-05
- Object words with accents are highlighted even if the glossary term is a little bit different
- Improve find_word function
- Changed Title and Description indexes to be ZCTextIndex based.
- Added a special latin lexicon class. The lexicon is initialized when adding the GlossaryCatalog and used by the ZCTextIndex indexes.
- Use the same normalizer of lexicon to parse SearchableText
- Add method rebuildCatalog on PloneGlossary to rebuild all glossary catalog
- Fixed access problem to glossary's catalogs for anonymous users - zegor
- Use AddPortalContent permission to add Glossary and definitions
1.1 - 2005-09-05
- Remove highlight for input or textarea tags
- Check permissions in plone glossary portlet
PloneGlossary ChangeLog is also available for detailed informations.